- News paper
- PVA Glue
- wall paper adhesive
- masking tape
- duct taped
- empty toilet paper/ paper towel rolls
Steps to Make a Basic Paper Mache Sculpture
Step 1 – Have an Idea of what you want to make
- Look up pictures online of objects that you would like to recreate
- Sketch out Ideas
- Look through books/magazine
Step 2 – Pick a work space, just keep in mind it will get messy
- Kitchen table/counter
- Folding tables
Step 3 – Creating the form (Dog). visually break up your reference photo/sketch into pieces, this will allow you focus on proportions
- body- roll new paper into a long(ish) bean shape
- legs- one ball for the top of the leg and one small bean shape for the bottom of the leg tape the two forms together- the feet roll a medium sized ball then squish it into a paw shape then add them to the leg form.
- For the Tail- roll a long thick pipe like shape.
- The Head- roll a long bean shape half of the body size.
Step 4 – Paper mache application
- rip the news paper into long strips no longer than 6 or 7 inches. Be sure the not have any factory cut edges. This helps with blending the edges when drying.
- Dip the newspaper into the paste, use your fingers to remove excess paste.
- Lay the newspaper strip on the form pieces. Always go in in a criss cross pattern until the form pieces are completely covered.
- Let dry over night (you can dry in the sun or neart a heater always use caution when using an oven.
- Repeat 8 to 10 times making sure each layer is completely dry before moving on to the next layer.
- Cut the paper mache balls/bean forms for leges, body, tail, and feet in half for the body I would cut it the long way rather then directly in half.
- Cut the head form the long way around top to bottom.
- Remove the inside newspaper guts.
- Tape up the seems and add 2 or 3 more layers of paper mache focusing on the seems
Step 5 – Assembling the individual forms
- tape the legs to the body
- tape the tail to the body
- tape the head to the body
- paper mache the dog form to cover the tape.
- Let dry over night
Step 6 – Tips for adding details to form
- use smaller rolled up newspaper for eye
- brows, eye balls, noses, lips, teeth, toes – these can be added before the last few layers of paper mache
- Tips for painting your paper mache form
- Paint a base coat
- Less paint is better
- Let dry before adding different color
- Seal your work for durability